(0) Radiation Imaging System patent number 5,590,169, 31 December 1996.
(1) Method and means for connecting a large number of electrodes to a measuring device patent number 8,335,551, 18 December 2012.
(2) Redundant connections to picafina probing device patent number 8,509,872, 13 Aug 2013.
Loss of electrical continuity at the male/female electrical contact at the connection between the battery/controlling electronics box (which is implanted at the chess or abdomen of the patient) and the connecting wires that lead to the electrodes, causes 2% to 3% of failures in heart pacemakers. This is likely a consequence of body fluids penetrating the male/female connector seal and causing electrolysis/corrosion at the contact. This is critical for the patient, depending on how well his heart can function for a short time after loss of heart pacemaker functionality. At the minimum it causes a visit to the emergency room and an urgent surgery, to replace the battery/controlling electronics box, at worse it may cause loss of life. This patent, together with patents # 8,738,135 and # 9,037,242 offers a solution to this problem of loss of electrical continuity at the connection between the box and the connecting wires.
The numbers for US alone are:
▶ 200,000 heart pacemakers implanted per year in US
▶ US $ 40,000 approximate average cost per unit + surgery + hospital (total cost for implant) -> total cost = $ 8 billion per year
▶ if half of implanted heart pacemakers were to use this invention paying 0.1% licence fee (paying $40 per unit, increasing the cost per unit from $ 40,000 to $ 40,040) the license would generate: 1/2 * 200,000 * $40 = $ 4 million per year in license fees
(3) Method and system to address multiple electrodes for sensing and stimulation in brain and heart patent number 8,538,516, 17 September 2013.
(4) Method and means for connecting and controlling a large number of contacts for electrical cell stimulation in living organisms patent number 8,565,868, 22 October 2013.
(5) Device and system to improve the safety of an electrical stimulating device in an electromagnetic radiation environment patent number 8,565,869, 22 October 2013.Patent '869 describes a method and a device for improving the safety of electrical stimulators implant wearers within an MRI machine - and of the electronics too. It departs from usual devices, that typically are designed to prevent RF induction - which is kind of hard to do!, in that the method and device described in this patent are based in redirecting the MRI induced RF to locations where the energy can be safely transferred to the patient body.
(6) Method and means to adjust the positioning of stimulating neural and muscular electrode (in collaboration with D. and K. Daneshvar) patent number 8,670,837, 11 March 2014.
(7) Redundant wires and connectors for DBS and heart pacemaker electrical stimulating device implanted in animals patent number 8,738,135, 27 May 2014.See item number 2: patent number 8,509,872
(8) Animal and plant cell electric stimulator with randomized spatial distribution of electrodes for both current injection and for electric field shaping patent number 8,954,145, 10 Feb 2015.Patent '145 describes a new class of electrically insulated electrodes, incapable of injecting electric charges in the body but perfectly capable of creating an electric field E in its surroundings. These electrically insulated electrodes, which we call passive electrodes or field shaping electrodes, can control the direction of motion and the speed of the ions that are propagating in the tissues (as in heart pacemakers, DBS implants, etc.) - remember that equation F = q x E from your hated physics 101? For the non-initiated, the control of the direction of the ion propagation is the equivalent of the steering wheel of an automobile (or better, on an airplane, because the heart and brain situation are 3-D), and the control of the speed of motion of the ions is the equivalent of the gas pedal on the automobile (or of an airplane). The control of the speed of propagation and of the direction of motion of the ions as they propagate through the heart muscle is the equivalent of the control of an automobile position on an open field (or better, of an airplane in the air). It follows that this device allows the control of the heart contraction sequence, because each cell of the heart contracts as the charged ions arrived at its position - this is heavy stuff! The same words, when applied to DBS brain stimulation, mean the control of the stimulated volume, that is, no side effects for Parkinson's DBS, and more.
(9) System of redundant wires and connectors for picafina DBS and heart pacemaker electrical stimulating device implanted in animals including human animals patent number 9,037,242, 19 May 2015.See item number 2: patent number 8,509,872
(10) " Device and means for adjusting the position of DBS, brain and other neural and muscular implants " patent number 9,089,687, 28 July 2015.
(11) " DBS and Heart Electrical Stimulation and Measurements with Multiple Electrodes " patent number 9,415,229, 16 August 2016.
(12) " Method and means for connecting and telecontroling a large number of electrodes for electrical cell stimulation in living organisms " patent number 9,480,843, 1st November 2016. (PFW_GGD)Patent '843 is for a wireless action at a distance device and method, capable of transmitting/receiving digital data, information and control to/from an electrical stimulating device (as a heart pacemaker, a DBS brain implant, etc.). The device is capable of selecting different voltages (or currents) levels and to act concurrently at different electrodes, each independent electrode at a potentially different voltage (or current) level, for stimulating tissues and/or organs in animals. It also includes measuring electrodes that can be used to guide the decisions of the controlling microcontroller.
(13) " Cell electric stimulator with subsurface electrodes for electric field shaping and separate electrodes for stimulation " patent number 10,149,972, 11 December 2018.Patent '972 explains how to make a more efficient electrical stimulator with field shaping electrodes to guide the injected charges (as per our earlier patent number 8 above, patent number 8,954,145, 10 Feb 2015) adding a new twist to it: move the field shaping electrodes to below the surface of the supporting structure! This way (1) the passive electrodes do not stay in the way of the actually charge injecting electrodes (I call these active electrodes) basides (2) having a full space to use, just below the surface! Clever eh?
(14) " Method and means to improve the effects of electrical cell and neuron stimulation with random stimulation in both location and time " patent number 10,369,358 , 06 August 2019.Patent '358 explains how to electrically stimulate tissues, as brain tissues, on a random time pattern, and from locations that keep moving around, instead of stimulating, as it is done today, stimulating from fixed locations, at regularly forever repeating time sequence (don't ask me why they do it this way). As an example, a typical Medtronic DBS stimulator injects an electric current for 90 microseconds on, 5 milliseconds period = 200 Hz. Of course that this current practice is bound to create self-sustaining neural loops by itself, which then, in turn, requires stronger, larger current stimulation, until the battery can no longer keep up with higher currents and the neurologist tells the patient: "sorry, we can do nothing more for you". In reality this happened because the very repetitive artificial stimulation gave origin to new neural loops that cause tremor themselves. This is so obvious that I find it beyond belief that nobody came up with our proposed random stimulation method before, and why in hell anyone would have made the first stimulator injecting charges at a fixed location on a forever repeating sequence. Note that this stimulation method is for neural stimulation only; it does NOT apply to heart stimulation!
(15) " Subsurface electrodes for electric field shaping with wrapping supporting structures " patent number 10,549,103, 4 February 2020.
(16) " Multilayer supporting structure for subsurface electrodes for electric field shaping " (in collaboration with Daisong Zhang) patent number 10,549,104, 4 February 2020.
(Optics 1) " Method and means to prevent the formation of visible lines and other image artifacts on illuminated displays " patent number 9,218,759, 22 December 2015, also seen at www.LaraLeeOptical.com.Patent '759 describes a method and a means to improve the quality of the image displayed on public billboards . It applies to large devices as street billboards, used to prod people to buy things that they do not want and should not even buy, to medium sized devices, as airport and train station announcing boards, and to smaller devices as computer monitors. The inventor dreams that one day, in a different society, the improved image will cause that the existing street billboards will display the murals of Diego Rivera and other 99% art works . The image improvement stems from small changes of the position of the pixels, which causes a break on the spatial frequency of the pixels. The modified pixel distribution is therefore devoid of spacial frequency arrangements, and then not subject to the problems associated with sampling frequencies. Though this image application of sampling is well known to mathematicians, engineers and other workers in the field of image acquisition and display, it is less known than its counterpart in sound, where it is more widely known that the 44.1 kHz frequency chosen for CD recording was selected for it being higher than twice the maximum frequency that humans can hear (20 kHz), which puts it above the Nyquist frequency and free from aliasing. It is worth to remind the reader that the problem solved by the invention is the same described by Nyquist, Nyquist frequency, aliasing, etc., so much discussed in digital recording.
Index_161013 3:48 pm